Re: Using Jessy with an older linux kernel

On Ter, 02 Jun 2015, Freek Dijkstra wrote:
Is it possible to run Jessy software and packages with an older (3.2 or
even 2.6) Linux kernel?

It depends.

The VPS that my hosting provider offers, uses OpenVZ (or more likely,
it's commercial counterpart, Odin Virtuozzo). OpenVZ provides operating
system-level virtualization (unlike paravirtualization as offered by Xen
or KVM). This means the kernel can't be changed from the guest OS, only
from the hypervisor. So I'm stuck with an older kernel.

I've been successful in upgrading from Wheezy (7) with a Linux 3.2
kernel to Jessy (8) on a test-VPS, and everything seems to work fine.

My production server is still running Squeeze (6.10 with LTS), with a
Linux 2.6.32-042stab092.3 kernel.

This version will probably not work with systemd, but an updated kernel is available: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=179343 . You could ask your provider to upgrade the kernel.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI