Re: Install from writeable USB

On Sun 31 May 2015 at 13:56:30 -0700, Charles wrote:

> Correct.  Sorry, I'm a little frustrated.

Let's see what we can do to remove the frustration

> Two directions:
>
> 1)  I've found lots of solutions regarding how to refer the install process to
> a URL (web server).  This is a bit of an overkill.

Fine. We'll agree with that.

> 2)  I've been told repeatedly that doing a dd copy to a USB stick gives one
> the ability to create a writeable partition on the same USB stick, only to

That is correct.

> have such advice withdrawn when I point out that fdisk, gparted, and kparted
> indicate that there are four partitions (fdisk) or no partitions (gparted and
> kparted) on the USB thumb drive.  Fdisk won't add a partition beyond
> /dev/sdb4, and gparted and kparted wipe out the existing (dd copy) data when
> they create a new partition.

dd an i386 netinst image to a USB stick. Now do 'fdisk -l /dev/sdX' and
post the output. 'X' can be found from the the last few lines of the
output of the dmesg command. It might be a or b etc.

Repeat for an amd64 netinst image and again post the output.