Missing audio notifications

I am a relatively new Debian user. I had my system set up properly and everything seemed to be working well. I used the Pithos front-end for the pandora service (which I like fairly well, by the way) which caused all of my audio notifications from the gnome system to stop. I no longer get the sounds from the various parts of the system notifying me of changes, i.e. icedove pops up a visual notification that I have recieved new e-mail, but the sound that had been associated with that no longer happens. This is not isolated to icedove. The system used to make a sound when I changed the volume level using my mouse wheel which no longer occurs either.

The audio on the system does work. I can play MP3 files through Rhythmbox or other audio player. I can play movies with audio, etc. So the audio sub-system of the computer is functional. It is just the alerts that do not work. I went to the system settings and made sure that alerts were turned on and the volume for them was turned up. They were and it was. I adjusted both anyway, and this made no difference. Basically none of the sounds coming from the operating system are functional.

What should I look at/check to solve this problem. Again, I have been able to isolate the problem as having started when I used the Pithos package. I am using an older laptop system, an HP Pavilion dv9000 system, if that makes any difference.

Anyone with any information/help will be greatly appreciated.

--
JM