Re: weird problem with one mail account in Thunderbird....ISP or what ?

Hello Frank,

I'dont thing you should be too worried about the security of your
system. I had a similar problem with my own mail server - I'm running
Dovecot on Debian Wheezy.
At first, I was very suspicious why Thunderbird didn't accept my
password any more but there is a simple explanation: The maximum number
of IMAP connections per user and IP was succeeded.

It's a bit confusing Thunderbird isn't showing an appropriate message
for that case (I didn't look into the IMAP protocol if Thunderbird could
distinguish the failure from a bad password at all). However, my mail
server logs are clear:

> Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded
(mail_max_userip_connections=15)

After raising the the maximum number of connections and restarting
Dovecot, the error was gone immediately .

Thunderbird seems to open many simultaneous IMAP connections if you have
a lot of folders in your account. I'm also using push mail on my android
smartphone, which requires one IMAP connection per folder. If you have
no influence on your mail provider you can limit the number of
simultaneous connections in the mail account settings of Thunderbird.

Regards,
Janis