Re: Viruses and rootkits WAS Re: weird problem with one mail account in Thunderbird....ISP or what ?

On 28/05/15 12:55 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 28 May 2015 11:34:44 -0400
Frank <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

Hello Frank,

    Are there in fact any viruses that can infect Linux systems? I know

AIUI, there are a few viruses but, by and large, the exist as "proof of
concept" and have rarely, if ever, been seen in the wild.

about rootkits but I gather they are rare. But the guys at my ISP are
so insistent I am beginning to wonder

Your ISP should know just what little real risk their is;  Most of their
hardware is run on *nix based OS.  What it boils down to is that the
scripts they have don't deal with MacOS well, never mind Linux.  OTOH,
as this affects only one mail account you have with them, I can
understand their attitude.  Unless you can provide *proof* that your
system is not at fault, they're never going to believe you.

In any event, you're not obliged to use your ISP's mail service.  With
plenty of other choices out there for email, many of them free, I wonder
why you're putting yourself through this on/off aggravation.

   That makes two of us :)  See my reply to Brian