Re: Systemd for dummies

On 05/25/2015 07:07 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
I upgraded to Jessie recently and lost my BackupPC setup and my rsyncd setup. I found that both succumbed to the change over from inet.d to Systemd. None of the documentation mentions anything about systemd setup. I found some script for rsync to write rsyincd.socket and rsyncd.service and put them in /lib/systemd/system directory. No mention was made of the soft link that had to be put in the proper /etc/systemd/system subdirectory. Rsync doesn't seem to be working. Further there is no documentation for setting up BackupPC for systemd. I am totally awash. Most of the documentation that I have found goes right over my head. Writers should give their documentation to their secretary / wife /husband to use and see what happens. (ugly) Is there any documentation out there that is readable that would give me a road map for setting up systemd. All suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Gary R

Thank you both for your replys. The ArchLinux page is really helpful. It took some tinkering but I finally got rsyncd working and Backuppc is now behaving it self. With regard to BackupPC's shortcomings; once working, I shove it into the background and try to not completely forget its there. I've had to dip into its files occasionally to restore a messed up / missing file and have found the process easy. Thats all that counts. I'm not real fond of system level work. I'm trying to get up to speed with freeCAD as an alternative to my AutoCAD 14 (windoz) package. I know, its still an alpha package but a very nice alpha package. I'm also working with python, django, html and java script. I have my hands full.

Thanks again

Gary R