Re: Systemd for dummies

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 07:07:07PM -0700, Gary Roach wrote:
> I upgraded to Jessie recently and lost my BackupPC setup and my rsyncd setup.
> I found that both succumbed to the change over from inet.d to Systemd.

That's strange. Systemd is supposed to be default for new installs but you
should not be moved over to it during an upgrade, iirc. How did you upgrade?

> None of the documentation mentions anything about systemd setup.

If you mean Debian documentation, then you are mostly right, the release
notes[1] are quite sparse on the topic, instead pointing you at the wiki[2].
However both pages state quite clearly that you can keep sysvinit installed
and switch between them via a kernel option. (If you don't know how to apply
kernel options, then this isn't much use I agree. A forward-link to how to
do that would be useful.)

> I found some script for rsync to write rsyincd.socket and rsyncd.service and
> put them in /lib/systemd/system directory.

Where? This does not sound like the correct approach.

> No mention was made of the soft link that had to be put in the proper
> /etc/systemd/system subdirectory.

No mention where? Where you got the script from? Possibly because the script is
wrong and the author unaware of how to do it properly. However it should work
in either location: it's just /etc is not going to be overwritten by package
updates.

> Rsync doesn't seem to be working.

Can you provide an example of a command that doesn't work? Or are you the
rsync daemon? There's not much for us to go on here!

> Further there is no documentation for setting up BackupPC for systemd.

The backuppc package does not contain a systemd unit file, but systemd starts
up services which have init scripts. I use backuppc and systemd together and
have not had any problems. What problems are you experiencing, specifically?

[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#systemd
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/systemd

--
Jonathan Dowland