Re: NFS drive uids/gids completely broken- for a little while

briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a weird one.
>
> Tried to use ssh and saw a "bad permissions" error on my .ssh/config file.
>
> I do ls -l and i see uids/gids of 2^32-1 or a similar very large integer.
>
> WTF ?!
>
> So i go back to the server to make sure the ownership hasn't been borked
> some way and everything is fine.
>
> I go back to my account on the client, do 'ls -l' again, and everything is
> as it should be.
>
> WTF ?!
>

> Brian
>
> p.s.
>
> 1 my NFS drives are mounted at boot. i've noticed that i get errors about
> something not being ready, or auto mounting being a problem, but up until
> now i haven't seen any real problems.
>
> 2 i can't look at those boot messages i see in 1.  why is it that a
> permanent method, installed by DEFAULT has never been implemented to look
> at boot messages ?

I had same issue after jessie and kernel upgrade. It turned out to be a
version mismatch. I think by default it would try to mount NFSv4 but I
assume you were using v3 as I did.
I solved it by enforcing use of v3 for now and plan to use v4 later.

The issue is wellknown old version uses 16bit and newer 32bit for u/gid.

it all means you'll have to take care of the versions and update initram
and/or config to boot/mount properly

regards