NFS drive uids/gids completely broken- for a little while

Hi,

This is a weird one.

Tried to use ssh and saw a "bad permissions" error on my .ssh/config file.

I do ls -l and i see uids/gids of 2^32-1 or a similar very large integer.

WTF ?!

So i go back to the server to make sure the ownership hasn't been borked some way and everything is fine.

I go back to my account on the client, do 'ls -l' again, and everything is as it should be.

WTF ?!

Brian

p.s.

1 my NFS drives are mounted at boot. i've noticed that i get errors about something not being ready, or auto mounting being a problem, but up until now i haven't seen any real problems.

2 i can't look at those boot messages i see in 1.  why is it that a permanent method, installed by DEFAULT has never been implemented to look at boot messages ?