Re: Backup services and Debian

On 27/05/2015 5:16 PM, "Petter Adsen" <petter@synth.no> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2015 19:26:12 -0300
> Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Petter.
> >
> > On 26/05/15 19:07, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> >
> > > You could try Bacula. You could also use Dirvish, although it does
> > > not running as a service, it gives good results. It works with
> > > rsync and optimize disk space usage maintaining hard links to the
> > > files unchanged between a backup and the next.
> >
> > Sorry. I think I misunderstood your question. You meant to cloud
> > services for backup; not services as in operating system daemons.
>
> Yes, I should perhaps have been clearer. :) I take local backups, but I
> really want a way to store backups somewhere remote.
>
> > Well, then maybe you can try rclone [1]. I'm using it with a client of
> > Germany and it works quite well.
>
> Thanks, that could come in handy. A little like rsync, it seems? As it
> can be used with Dropbox I will test it. I was actually looking more for
> recommendations on the actual storage provider than for software,
> unless the software is provided by the service.
>
> Someone else suggested Amazon S3 in a private mail, and I think I
> should consider that.

Hmmm that would be me, i pressed reply insteaf of reply all, sorry about that.

The only real drawback is that they charge per
> GB/month, so I can't just pay for a year in advance and forget about
> it. Glacier would also be an alternative, but I know next to nothing
> about it. Has anyone used it with Debian?

The thing is once you use S3 the Glacier backup comes with it. Inside your S3 bucket settings you have archiving option that you set according to your preference. Lets say you set it to 3 months then S3 will automatically archive any files older than 3 months in Glacier.

Another useful thing that comes with S3 buckets is versioning, meaning if you decide to switch it on it will keep multiple versions of the same file which comes handy to quickly roll back to specific point of time.