Backup services and Debian

I'm still messing with trying to get a good backup routine, and I'm
(slowly) coming to the conclusion that other people are better at it
than I am, and I need a way to store data remotely anyway.

Right now, I'm testing AltDrive on an Ubuntu machine. They have a Java
client (which I'm not too happy about) that seems to work well. I've
upgraded my outgoing bandwidth to be better suited to doing backups
to a remote destination. I haven't tested the client with Debian yet,
as you can only run it on one machine with the service you can try for
free for one month.

One thing I miss is the ability to do backups of NFS-mounted file
systems. Neither do I like the dependence upon Java. Apart from that,
it seems to work quite well. It does version control, handles
encryption locally with keys I manage myself, and I can use as much
space as I need. It wouldn't cost any more than using Dropbox. There is
also a command line interface, apparently, although it seems very basic.

Does anyone here have any experience with this or similar services that
work well with Debian? Do any of them have the ability to do backups of
network file systems, so that I won't need to run the client on several
machines? This could be especially important to me soon, as I'm
considering to buy a small NAS, and I'm unlikely to find a client that
will run locally on that.

That said, I would be really, really happy if the client was open
source. Another thing that would be nice is if they have servers in
Europe, so that I wouldn't need to push the data back and forth across
the Atlantic.

I have found a loooong list of backup providers on Wikipedia, but it
would take forever to research each and every one of them to find out
which ones are suited to my purpose and find other people's experiences
with them, which is why I'm asking here, in a hope to narrow it down to
just a few.

Any insights and experiences with this or equivalent services would be
much appreciated. Relevant advice, the same.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"