Re: Backup services and Debian

On Tue, 26 May 2015 19:26:12 -0300
Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi, Petter.
>
> On 26/05/15 19:07, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
>
> > You could try Bacula. You could also use Dirvish, although it does
> > not running as a service, it gives good results. It works with
> > rsync and optimize disk space usage maintaining hard links to the
> > files unchanged between a backup and the next.
>
> Sorry. I think I misunderstood your question. You meant to cloud
> services for backup; not services as in operating system daemons.

Yes, I should perhaps have been clearer. :) I take local backups, but I
really want a way to store backups somewhere remote.

> Well, then maybe you can try rclone [1]. I'm using it with a client of
> Germany and it works quite well.

Thanks, that could come in handy. A little like rsync, it seems? As it
can be used with Dropbox I will test it. I was actually looking more for
recommendations on the actual storage provider than for software,
unless the software is provided by the service.

Someone else suggested Amazon S3 in a private mail, and I think I
should consider that. The only real drawback is that they charge per
GB/month, so I can't just pay for a year in advance and forget about
it. Glacier would also be an alternative, but I know next to nothing
about it. Has anyone used it with Debian?

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"