Re: Laptops, UEFI, Secure Boot and Debian

On Sat, 23 May 2015, Petter Adsen wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 2015 23:53:14 -0700
> Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Researching a laptop purchase (within the next 6 months or so) to
> > replace my aging Desktop (1 to 8.5 years depending on which parts).
> > Going to abandoned the Big Box forever.  Need to be very portable in
> > the next year or two. Two questions to begin:
> >
> > 1. Many laptops seem to only be able to turn off Secure Boot through
> > the OS, Windows 8.x, or so I've researched.  However, I've read some
> > makes (Asus, Lenovo, Dell and HP) can do it directly through "BIOS"
> > without needing to boot Windows?  True?  Any others?
>
> I don't have a laptop myself (don't like them), but every one I've
> seen so far has had a switch to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS.
> AFAIK, that switch is mandatory to adhere to the "Built For Windows
> 8" MS program, although it is only optional for the coming Windows 10
> program. That might be something to watch out for.

I've read about that, but right now until W10 in its final form is
release, nobody really knows for sure.

> If this is going to become a real problem or not, we will just have to
> wait and see.
>
> > 2. How UEFI compatible is Debian Wheezy?  What I'm running on the
> > Desktop.  Or is Jessie the better choice.  Or something else
> > entirely?  Except Ubuntu variants (Hate it!).  I don't want to run
> > in Legacy mode for future compatibility.  I won't be installing a
> > desktop, just a window manager.  Probably Openbox.
>
> You can find details here:
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch03s06.html.en#UEFI

Yes, I read that during my initial research.

> I believe the Canonical people have put some effort into becoming
> fully Secure Boot-compliant, but if you do not like them, then that
> is not an option. There are also others (RedHat?) but I can't
> remember who.

That compatibility comes from the Linux manufacturer buying a Microsoft
Secure Boot key which Canonical and RH have.  SUSE, too, I think. Don't
know how much that costs them.  I prefer not to have Linux under
Microsoft's thumb that way.

I have no problems with turning Secure Boot off and leaving it off.
It's just that I fear that in the future one won't be able to turn
it off.  And that will really throw a wrench in the Linux community.
We'll see.

Thanks for your input.