Re: Problem Running Application with Alias

On Sat, 23 May 2015 09:36:31 -0400
"Sephen P. Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> VI am running Wheezy (v-7.8.0)  in a VM and have encountered rather a
> strange problem .with an application, MOPAC (a well established
> quantum chemistry program).
>
> The application is installed in /opt/mopac (required by the
> executable) and, in order to execute the program the following is an
> entry in the user .bashrc:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/mopac/MOPAC2012.exe:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

This is an obvious thing that jumps out at me, this line should be:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/mopac:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

as LD_LIBRARY_PATH is meant to contain directories where shared
libraries can be found, not an executable binary.

In this case, I expect that the shared libraries will not be found,
since the loader will look for them in a _directory named_
"MOPAC2012.exe", not "/opt/mopac".

> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> alias mopac='/opt/mopac/MOPAC2012.exe'
>
> The permissions for /opt/mopac are:  drwxrwxrwx
>

> (I should note at this point that this works flawlessly in my
> production machine.)

Maybe there are copies of the libraries in another directory that the
loader searches, or "/opt/mopac" is listed in "/etc/ld.so.conf".

> comp@inga:~$ /opt/mopac/MOPAC2012.exe
> /opt/mopac/MOPAC2012.exe: error while loading shared libraries:
> libiomp5.so: can
> not open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> The workaround is to copy the argument to /opt/mopac, run the
> executable for the calculation, and then transfer the results to the
> working directory.
>
> This is most inconvenient and I would really appreciate a solution to
> the problem.

Try fixing the line that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or adding "/opt/mopac"
to "/etc/ld.so.conf" and run ldconfig to update the cache.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"