Testing - login screen and console very dark

At some point during the recent slew of updates in testing I noticed that one of my four systems began exhibiting a strange behavior. When I log out from a desktop session to the greeter or switch to a console screen, the display is so dark I can hardly see its content. I would point out that the first time the login screen is seen after boot it shines at normal brightness.

The affected system is a Lenovo Thinkpad T520i, the only system among my 4 machines running the AMD64 kernel. Fortunately it has screen brightness control built into the hardware, so remedying the dim screens is easy enough.

I recall having to fiddle with screen brightness on in the DE (Xfce) more than once in the past as versions of the power manager changed. But, in those cases, the login screen and console screen brightness were not affected.

The other odd effect I see is that using the screen brightness keys when at the login screen or on the console doesn't step the brightness. The first touch of the brightness control takes brightness all the way to 100%. Once logged in, the brightness control is properly granular.

One more oddity about brightness control on the system is that the new power manager plugin for the Xfce panel behaves as I would expect -- except that, if it is sitting in the notification area instead of out on the panel, use of the mouse scrollwheel with the cursor positioned over the power icon does not control screen brightness.

This latter issue might well be attributed to the plugin itself, but is the issue of login screen and console screen brightness not a function of non-DE components?

There are many, many reports online of people having problems with display brightness recently, but none that I have read seems at all a close match to my situation.

Could someone here steer me toward documentation or testing methods that could help me resolve the issue of login screen and console brightness?

Thanks!