Problem Running Application with Alias

VI am running Wheezy (v-7.8.0) in a VM and have encountered rather a strange problem .with an application, MOPAC (a well established quantum chemistry program).

The application is installed in /opt/mopac (required by the executable) and, in order to execute the program the following is an entry in the user .bashrc:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/mopac/MOPAC2012.exe:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
alias mopac='/opt/mopac/MOPAC2012.exe'

The permissions for /opt/mopac are:  drwxrwxrwx

(I should note at this point that this works flawlessly in my production machine.)

Now, for the problem, the alias or MOPAC2012.exe work only if evoked in /opt/mopac!

If, I attempt running the alias in /home/comp (the user), for instance, I get:

comp@inga:~$ mopac
/opt/mopac/MOPAC2012.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libiomp5.so: can
not open shared object file: No such file or directory

Alternately, if I try to run with the ful path to the executabe I get:

comp@inga:~$ /opt/mopac/MOPAC2012.exe
/opt/mopac/MOPAC2012.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libiomp5.so: can
not open shared object file: No such file or directory

The workaround is to copy the argument to /opt/mopac, run the executable for the calculation, and then transfer the results to the working directory.

This is most inconvenient and I would really appreciate a solution to the problem.

Thanks iin advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.                 Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry                 Stochastic and Multivariate