HELP- very slow download speeds

I have 4 systems that have squeeze, wheezy and jessie on them. I haven't updated one in a long time. They all suffer from extremely slow downloads. I have a 50M verizon fiber optic line to a M1424WR router / switch. I also have fios and my phone line on the same system. When I start a download, it starts at 50M for the first few seconds and then drops to 500K to 100K range. All 4 system react the same. Two are the same hardware but one is older hardware and one is a dual boot Toshiba laptop.

Verizon insists their lines are OK. The have change out the router, the interface unit outside and have bypassed the coax with there own. Everything checks out. I have run their speed checker while downloading. The speed checker shows 50M (about) and the download speed is simultaneously around 250K. Everything is hardwired - no wifi hookups. Further, my NetFlix may hickup once in a while but generally works ok. No problems with our phone service.

When this started, I was getting lots of packet loss errors with "ping -f -U <address>" but that has stopped today. The slow downloads still persists

I'm at a loss as to what is wrong. Any ideas will be sincerely appreciated. I think Verizon is about to dump me on my head and wash their hands of the whole problem. Thus leaving me with a dialup speed expensive connection.

Gary R