SOLVED: Re: Logitech M545 button mappings

On Tue, 19 May 2015 11:04:52 +0200
Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-05-19 at 08:49 +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > I bought one of these mice yesterday, it's comfortable, but
> > exhibiting strange behaviour. It has two thumb buttons, like the
> > mouse I had before, but they're not mapped to button presses, but
> > to keyboard events.
>
> Hi,
>
> You bought a mouse that's also a keyboard! Apparently these are more
> or less hard-wired to work with Windows 8.

Argh. Why the fsck can't these people just build hardware that works
the way it's supposed to?

> You could set up shortcuts or commands for those key combinations,
> but I guess you would get the same keybindings for the normal
> keyboard too.

Yes. Losing Super_L I could live with, but losing "d" would be an issue.

> There does seem to be some kind of other workaround though,
> http://superuser.com/questions/676306/logitech-m560-mouse-on-linux-sends-messed-up-input-events
> (see the link to the redhat bugzilla too)

The RH link was very helpful. In short:

Create "/etc/udev/hwdb.d/90-logitech-m-545.hwdb" with following:

# Logitech M545
keyboard:usb:v046DpC52B*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_70007=back
 KEYBOARD_KEY_700E7=forward

Then:

udevadm hwdb --update

Unplug the receiver and plug it in again, and it works the way $DEITY
intended.

Thanks a lot for the link, I didn't notice the RH link when I did my
searches. I also learned something new about udev today :)

> In the long run, it's probably easier to have it replaced...

It would also be the correct thing to do, to not encourage them further
to make broken hardware, but as I mentioned it would be a big hassle.
The mouse itself is also quite nice. Now that it works the way I want it
to, I'm not going to bother.

But I am going to send Logitech customer support an angry email and
inform them that they have just lost a customer they've had for decades.

Hopefully the above will help someone else if they face the same
problem.

Thanks again.

Petter

--