Re: Grub2 (Wheezy) booting off either disk in a RAID1 mirror

Darac Marjal wrote:
> Andrew Wood wrote:
> > Ive got 2 disks in a RAID1 mirror and am trying to setup Grub 2 so that I
> > can boot from either disk if one fails.
> > Ive tried using dd to copy the MBR over but when booting from  one of the
> > disks I just get the word GRUB which I guess is because its looking for the
> > stage 2 loader on the other disk?
> >
> > How can I configure Grub2 correctly such that I can boot with either disk
> > removed?
>
> I think you should be able to install grub (that is, run grub-install)
> for both devices (grub-install /dev/sda ; grub-install /dev/sdb # for
> example).

Using grub-install /dev/sda ; grub-install /dev/sdb should definitely
work for both disks.

It is definitely good to test.  Andrew I applaud you for doing the
testing of the installation.  That is awesome.

If all else fails and it were me I would swap the cables so that the
order of sda and sdb are reversed.  Then use grub-install /dev/sda to
write the mbr onto the new sda drive.  Then swap them back, although
that shouldn't matter at that point.  It is good to know that you can
use the debian-installer in rescue mode to boot and chroot to the
system in order to run grub-install there even if the BIOS booting
drives won't boot.

Bob