Re: aptitude update errors for upgrade to Jessie on amd64

David Wright wrote:
> Quoting Bob Proulx (bob@proulx.com):
> > When the program looks up the ftp.us.debian.org name it will get all
> > three of the above in some order.  If your system is IPv6 capable it
>
> Thanks for that clear exposition. I myself have had no problem with
> these differences (assuming they could even be relevant). But can you
> throw any light on why Pierre is apparently being served a .xz
> compressed file by ftp.fr.debian.org which is making apt-get
> (presumably expecting to receive a .gz file) fail to verify the
> digest? (I can't even try reproducing this as I'm i386 and he's amd64.)

I keep thinking I will have time to give this a proper answer.
Basically that would require manually walking through downloading each
of the Packages and Release files in the archive and verifying
signatures and file checksums.  The tool is complaining about a
mismatch.  At some point doing all of that manually should reproduce
the same mismatch.  When I have needed to do that before (behind
corporate caching proxies) I always found that the caching proxy was
returning stale files.

That is about the only hint I can provide at this time.

Bob