Re: strange booting behavior

On Sun, 17 May 2015 16:56:20 +0000
gofloss gofloss <goflossgo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/17/15, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 May 2015 05:42:40 +0000
> > gofloss gofloss <goflossgo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> the thumb drive is quick to describe.  it's in the bios boot
> >> sequence, but even though i put grub on it, it doesn't boot.
> >> it just defaults to the next item on the sequence.  so
> >> perhaps my computer is not capable of booting thumb drive?
> >
> > Possibly, but then I would think it odd that it shows up in the
> > BIOS as a bootable device at all.
>
> i should mention that i have no idea if the device in the boot
> sequence is the same device.  it just says "usb device".  maybe it is
> trying to boot my mouse.  :)

If it is, then it is not strange that it fails :)

> > Have you tried just downloading the Debian netinst image, dd it to a
> > similar flash drive, and then tried booting that? That could help
> > you determine if it is the BIOS or the configuration on the thumb
> > drive.
> >
> > You could also check if there are any updates available for your
> > BIOS.
>
> i will try dding an iso to the thumb drive itself if you think it
> stands a good chance of booting.  i do not have another one.  i will
> look for bios updates.

Try that. It would also give you the ability to try and mount the
encrypted root on the Toshiba from there and see if that works.

> >> BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/toshibaroot ro
> >                                                             ^
> > Is this a typo? You have a hyphen here above.
>
> yes, it is a typo.  it was transcribed using pen and paper then typed
> in.  the hyphen is in both.
>
> thank you very much for replying.
>
> any ideas on how to get the toshiba to boot properly?

Not really, the error message you posted in your original mail was not
very informative (at least not to me). Could you try to capture the
last few messages before it, and post those here? Anything that jumps
out at you, as well, especially if it is related to crypto or mounting
root.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"