Re: strange booting behavior

On Sun, 17 May 2015 05:42:40 +0000
gofloss gofloss <goflossgo@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> the thumb drive is quick to describe.  it's in the bios boot
> sequence, but even though i put grub on it, it doesn't boot.
> it just defaults to the next item on the sequence.  so
> perhaps my computer is not capable of booting thumb drive?

Possibly, but then I would think it odd that it shows up in the BIOS as
a bootable device at all.

Have you tried just downloading the Debian netinst image, dd it to a
similar flash drive, and then tried booting that? That could help you
determine if it is the BIOS or the configuration on the thumb drive.

You could also check if there are any updates available for your BIOS.

<snip>

                            ^

> /proc/cmdline says
> BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/toshibaroot ro
                                                            ^
Is this a typo? You have a hyphen here above.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"