Re: Help with ddrescue

On Fri, 08 May 2015 16:27:22 -0400
The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 05/08/2015 at 04:09 PM, German wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 08 May 2015 16:00:05 -0400 Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net>
> > wrote:

> >> With the drive duplicated, run fsck on the new drive. Hopefully
> >> the file system will be repairable. If it isn't, you can run
> >> testdisk or whatever to try to rescue files to another device (not
> >> the original, bad drive).
> >
> > What will happen when I duplicate drive? Why is that failed drive is
> > failed and duplicated drive might be repairable? If it's duplicated,
> > it will be exactly the same, no? Confused.  And bad drive is
> > physically ok I think, it is just something wrong with file system.
> > MTF?
>
> If the bad drive is physically OK, then ddrescue is probably not
> needed.
>
> ddrescue, and the similar *rescue tools, are only for recovering as
> much data as possible data when you can't use plain dd because the
> drive itself is producing errors in some sectors. (You still can't
> recover data from those sectors, but you can generally get the rest.)
>
> If the drive is OK but the filesystem is bad, then you need to use
> other tools for data recovery. Exactly what those tools would be will
> probably depend on what filesystem is involved; if fsck doesn't work,
> then it will probably involve advanced manual techniques which we
> (or, at least, I) could not talk you through via E-mail.
>
> If you want to copy the "bad" filesystem for analysis and/or
> dissecting, then as long as the drive is OK, you should be able to do
> it using plain dd - no need for ddrescue or any such thing.
>

> What leads you to conclude that the drive is OK and the filesystem is
> what is bad? What errors are you seeing, in what situations?

Error mounting /dev/sdc1 at /media/spore/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdc1" "/media/spore/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive"' exited with non-zero exit status 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read of MFT, mft=17625 count=1 br=-1: Input/output error
Inode is corrupt (5): Input/output error
Index root attribute missing in directory inode 5: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/sdc1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.