Re: Help with ddrescue

On 05/08/2015 at 04:09 PM, German wrote:

> On Fri, 08 May 2015 16:00:05 -0400 Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/05/15 02:56 PM, German wrote:

>>> What will this duplication accomplish? What advantages if I am
>>> duplicate? After I duplicate the drive, what are my next steps?
>>
>> With the drive duplicated, run fsck on the new drive. Hopefully
>> the file system will be repairable. If it isn't, you can run
>> testdisk or whatever to try to rescue files to another device (not
>> the original, bad drive).
>
> What will happen when I duplicate drive? Why is that failed drive is
> failed and duplicated drive might be repairable? If it's duplicated,
> it will be exactly the same, no? Confused.  And bad drive is
> physically ok I think, it is just something wrong with file system.
> MTF?

If the bad drive is physically OK, then ddrescue is probably not needed.

ddrescue, and the similar *rescue tools, are only for recovering as much
data as possible data when you can't use plain dd because the drive
itself is producing errors in some sectors. (You still can't recover
data from those sectors, but you can generally get the rest.)

If the drive is OK but the filesystem is bad, then you need to use other
tools for data recovery. Exactly what those tools would be will probably
depend on what filesystem is involved; if fsck doesn't work, then it
will probably involve advanced manual techniques which we (or, at least,
I) could not talk you through via E-mail.

If you want to copy the "bad" filesystem for analysis and/or dissecting,
then as long as the drive is OK, you should be able to do it using plain
dd - no need for ddrescue or any such thing.

What leads you to conclude that the drive is OK and the filesystem is
what is bad? What errors are you seeing, in what situations?

--
   The Wanderer