Re: Question: Why do you dist-upgrade?

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <renaud@olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:

> Not to mention that unlike an install, a dist-upgrade does not require
> reinstalling all the special configs and tweaks you may have added to
> the system.

This can also be used as an argument against dist-upgrade: you need to
change and adapt the configuration for new versions of packages or risk
running into problems.

>From my experience from dist-upgrading many servers the most pain are
webservers with PHP. Merging the old with the new apache configuration
and checking and evaluating the changes of the PHP configuration always
take the most time, if I want to be sure everything works and stays
secure.

It depends on your overall setup what method is faster. If you can spawn
a new (virtual) server automagically in 5 minutes and redeploy your apps
(web or other) inlcuding the needed configuration then you will never
dist-upgrade but instead just move all data over to a new home and be
done.

Grüße,
Sven.

--