Re: jessie: how to suppress emacs24 warnings

On 04/27/2015 at 08:44 PM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2015-04-27 14:57:05 -0500, Tim Kelley wrote:
>
>> Well, typing it is cumbersome so you can do in ~/.bash_aliases or
>> ~/.bashrc
>>
>> alias emacs='emacs > /dev/null 2>&1'
>>
>> I agree though, that is annoying, and a lot of GTK programs do
>> that. And sending the output to null isn't really the right answer,
>> since you'll miss actual errors that are important.
>
> I completely agree. I would never do that. Writing a shell function
> that greps out the Gtk-WARNING lines may be better.

Not ideal, though, since there are (as I understand matters) often but
not necessarily always blank lines in between these Gtk-WARNING lines.
So either you cut out just the WARNING lines and still have scrolliness
because of the blank lines making it through, or you snip out the
adjacent lines and risk killing other information. (Or you make your
script potentially quite a bit more complicated.)

>> As far as I can tell, it's a compiled flag on gtk, so filing a bug
>> against gtk is probably the best thing to do. You could rebuild
>> the gtk deb from the source deb and change that and install it too,
>> if you want to do that.
>
> Are these messages output by the GTK library itself or reported to
> Emacs or output by emacs itself?
>
> Having output in a library (except for output functions, of course)
> is bad practice (possibly except critical errors, like assertion
> failure or memory corruption, which could mean an imminent crash or
> possible data loss). Errors should be reported to the caller.

Given the sheer number of different programs which I've seen output them
(this includes iceweasel and icedove), I rather suspect they're output
by the library itself. I think I researched this more specifically once,
but if so I forget the details.

--
   The Wanderer