Re: What hijack/hijacking a thread means (was ... Re: python3-xlib lost in Debian)

Chris Bannister wrote:
> Good explanation, changed subject to reflect that.

For everyone who has this problem in their mail reader that will be
the start of the new topic discussion for them.  For everyone else we
see it as a correctly threaded response to the message that started
this topic of discussion.

> Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> > Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > > Hijacking threads won't get you many answers.  I read this bnecause I was
> > > interested in the booot logo quesition.  I know nothjing about Python.
> > >
> > > Try reposting in a new thread about Python.

Good suggestion!

> > This posted as a new thread in my inbox. OP's name was not familiar
> > right offhand, but a quick search of my inbox shows it to POSSIBLY be
> > a newcomer to Debian lists. My compassionate m/o (method of operation)
> > in these cases is to presume a new user is not aware of how threads
> > thread these days.. I sure wasn't, and I've been using computers and
> > the Internet for 20 years.

Thank Microsoft for Outlook which has now been corrupting the minds of
youths for twenty years.

> > For the OP (original poster): Based on the response you received, I'm
> > a-suming you possibly replied to a thread then maybe changed the
> > subject line to ask your own unrelated question? If so, some email
> > clients (software, etc) still consider that to be part of the old
> > thread and will treat it as such. You have to start with a brand new,
> > completely empty email if you're starting a topic that is not an
> > intentional derivative of one currently being discussed....

In terms of numbers of email clients the numbers that don't thread are
relatively small.  In terms of people who use those clients the
numbers are relatively large.  HUGE actually.

Both Outlook and Gmail sort by subject.  They ignore message threading
and look only at the subject.  This is against "The Way It Should Be"
in mail user agents.  In terms of numbers of clients that sort that
way the number is small.  But the total number of people that use
those services is HUGE.  And most of them are the newbies.  Those
services cater to the people who won't know and understand the
details.  It is overwhelming.

> > If you go to this page, you'll see what happened:
> >
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/04/thrd3.html
> >
> > You have to page down until you find your thread. It's about 2/3's of
> > the way down for me right now. What you'll see is your new thread is
> > now permanently stored as a sub-thread, a continued thought of the
> > boot logo thread when it appears you may have intended for your
> > question to stand out by itself.

Exactly correct!

> > How you would fix it would be to go ahead and start that new email
> > then copy and paste all of your own original here into it.
> >
> > Hope that helps POSSIBLY explain why you received the response you
> > did. If you already knew what happened, my apologies for a-suming you
> > didn't. Perhaps this will still help some other Debian list newcomer
> > now or in the Future. Good luck with your own Debian'ing!

Excellent.

Bob