Re: /etc/network/interfaces in jessie and systemd?

On 2015-04-22 14:20:00 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 22.04.2015 um 10:21 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
> > On 2015-04-21 17:27:46 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> >> The ifup@.service is triggered by a udev rule and responsible to handle
> >> allow-hotplug interfaces.
> >
> > I hope that this will remain always optional. For a laptop at least,
> > that's not the correct way to do.
>
> Are you advocating the use of auto over allow-hotplug

I'm not advocating the use of auto either. Well, auto is OK for "lo",
but my point is that neither auto nor allow-hotplug is OK for eth* or
wlan*, at least when the network can change (e.g. for a laptop).

> or the use of something enirely else, more dynamic, like
> network-manager?

Yes, something better than allow-hotplug, like the netplug package
(for eth*). I don't know how network-manager works; perhaps it can
do similar things?

The problem with allow-hotplug is that it makes the interface UP even
when the interface is not ready for that, e.g. when an Ethernet cable
is not plugged in. Waiting for an Ethernet link may be needed for the
configuration, e.g. when using "mapping" and "test peer ... mac ...".
Or when a laptop is moved from a network to another one, one may want
to have the scripts under /etc/network rerun when an Ethernet cable
is unplugged / plugged in, and things like that.