Re: A question about deleting a big file structure from a big disk in Jessie: Why does this work? I'm really worried.

Quoting David Wright (deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk):
> Quoting Paul E Condon (pecondon@mesanetworks.net):
> > On 20150402_2135-0500, David Wright wrote:
> > > I do get occasional I/O errors on USB transfers, which can make the
> > > disk readonly, but sometimes make it disappear altogether (ie it
> > > gets unmounted, not remounted).
> >
> > All of my file systems are journaled. Did you notice a delay in remount
> > as the journal was replayed?
>
> No, but I wasn't watching for it. I will in future (though obviously
> I have adjusted my working practice to minimise the rare occurrences).

... and my current workaround is to use my little old laptop to copy
files between USB drives. I just copied 120,000 files (45.5GB) without
a peep on /var/log/kern.log, not even one of those interface reset
messages that my desktop often logs.

Cheers,
David.