Re: [solved] Re: Change partition numbering

Quoting Joe (joe@jretrading.com):
> On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 23:55:42 -0500
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > Quoting Joe (joe@jretrading.com):
> > > What happens next depends on exactly what's on the partitions, and
> > > where the references to /dev/sda1, etc. are. I think there is only
> > > likely to be trouble where grub is involved, as it stores actual
> > > disc locations.
> >
> > I think you're confusing grub with LILO. Grub can read partition
> > tables, UUIDs, LABELs and filesystems.
>
> To a certain extent, but grub still hardcodes partitions by number into
> its bootloader, hence Rodolfo's need to rescue. Again, presumably this
> wouldn't be a problem if UUIDs/labels were used.

I know it *can*, but I was under the impression that most people
nowadays would have their core.img at sector 1 and so unaffected by
swapping the numbers on partitions 6 and 7.
But it's a long, long time since I had a FAT partition. If that's got
DOS in it, then it may be something to do with booting that.

Cheers,
David.