Re: apt stuck at "Reading database"

Is this still a work in progress?
    From: Luis Finotti <luis.finotti@gmail.com>
    Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 10:03:48 -0400

Dear all,

I had a power failure while I was away and when I came back the boot
failed, asking to run fsck manually, which I did.

*Many* errors where fixed and I could reboot to what it seems to be a
 normal session, except I cannot "dist-upgrade" or "upgrade" (I'm on
 sid, BTW):

If there is log information on what was fixed, that might be helpful, could
be a binary corrupted somewhere.

Taking into account there was already some clearing of some apt related stuff
elsewhere in the thread....

If it was me, my next steps would be to clean some old stuff out and see if using
dpkg to install something will work.

As root something like......

dpkg --clear-avail
apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get -d upgrade
cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
dpkg -i *tiff*

If the packages fail to install then more investigation is needed to get that sorted.
If installation is successful then I might try

apt-get --reinstall install <the same packages that dpkg installed successfully>

Later, Seeker