Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

Quoting John Hasler (jhasler@newsguy.com):
> Celejar writes:
> > I run my main browser instance with all JavaScript disabled…
>
> So do I.  Lots of sites put up banners warning me that some "features"
> may not operate properly without JS but generally those are exactly the
> "features" that I specifically don't want.  A few other sites really
> won't work usefully without JS.

I've not done this (yet). Would I be right in assuming it's as simple
as setting javascript.enabled to false in about:config (iceweasel)?
What sorts of "features" might not work?

With JS enabled (as it has been for me) and Flash available (at the
moment I have to "Allow Now" on each page) there are odd sites that
still will not work, eg https://www.capitalone.com/ where, if I
try to login, it just says
"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."
in the place where the username/password would be typed.
Any ideas on what I might have misconfigured or have missing?
(I can only login with chromium; that's the only site I have
visited with it.)

> In that case I either go elsewhere or
> temporarily enable JS for that site only.

But just how bad do you consider JS to be? Does it deserve the
expletive epithet; is it malware?
(I don't know a lot about it. I'm barely past the stage of confusing
it with its nominative cousin, java.)

Cheers,
David.