Re: change sources.list to follow testing, not jessie

On 04/17/2015 at 11:41 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Friday 17 April 2015 15:51:23 The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 04/17/2015 at 10:18 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

>>> A valid point.  But changing code name reduces the risk of
>>> absentmindedly upgrading and then thinking oops.  Particularly in
>>> the case of the OP, who expected changing Jessie to testing now,
>>> to have some impact and be a valid test of the result of tracking
>>> testing.
>>
>> I'm not sure he was. I understood his reluctance to test "for fear
>> of causing immediate problems" as being based on the idea that "if
>> I converted it wrong, or to the wrong thing, then trying to use the
>> result might cause problems" - not on the idea that testing
>> currently contains something different from jessie.
>
> He was discussing changing all his sources to testing in order to
> track testing not Jessie.
>
> He said:
>
> "Running `aptitude update' with the changes" (from Jessie to testing)
> "in place does not produce any output that looks problematice (to
> me).  But maybe that is not a thorough test?"
>
> Having the changes in place would make no difference at all at the
> moment.  So it is not a test at all.

It's a test of whether the conversion of the sources.list was done
correctly - and of whether the newly listed sources are actually valid,
hosting actual repositories. It's not necessarily an exhaustive test of
that latter, but it's probably enough for most purposes.

--
   The Wanderer