Re: change sources.list to follow testing, not jessie

On 04/17/2015 at 10:18 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Friday 17 April 2015 15:08:13 The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> My point is that it's easy to take this approach even with
>> sources.list naming testing explicitly, simply by not initiating
>> the actual upgrade. There's no need to track a release by codename,
>> even temporarily, in order to avoid the chaos.
>
> A valid point.  But changing code name reduces the risk of
> absentmindedly upgrading and then thinking oops.  Particularly in the
> case of the OP, who expected changing Jessie to testing now, to have
> some impact and be a valid test of the result of tracking testing.

I'm not sure he was. I understood his reluctance to test "for fear of
causing immediate problems" as being based on the idea that "if I
converted it wrong, or to the wrong thing, then trying to use the result
might cause problems" - not on the idea that testing currently contains
something different from jessie.

> Your approach also involves keeping a good track of the date.  I have
> no doubt you do.  But judging by how often we have been asked the
> projected date for Jessie's release, that does not apply to
> everyone.

Actually, I don't keep good track of the date; I have a general
awareness that it's coming soon, because of discussion on these lists,
but I'd have to look it up to tell you the exact date.

However, since I always review apt-listchanges and apt-listbugs (and,
for that matter, the simple list of what packages will be upgraded)
before proceeding with a dist-upgrade, I will _see_ the huge set of new
changes when the transition hits - in time to say "no, I don't want to
do this yet" if that's appropriate. The very size of the mass of
changes, relative to the handful of packages updated each week during
the late freeze, serves as a signal that the transition to a new testing
has occurred.

> You come into the category of those who know what they're doing and
> can, if necessary, sort out messes.  Not all do.

Quite true...

> And I am paranoid about my own incompetence and forgetfulness. :-(

...and quite understandable; I'm that way myself sometimes. Just not in
all areas, particularly when I've set up what I feel are sufficient
safeguards. ^_^

--
   The Wanderer