Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 05:54:08 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Friday 17 April 2015 02:33:59 Petter Adsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:50:13 -0400
> > Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > > With limited life of the flash, linux filesystems are hell on
> > > flash.
> >
> > Not any longer :) There are now Linux filesystems specifically for
> > flash memory - F2FS, for instance. ext4 isn't as bad on flash,
> > either, with the right mount options, and btrfs (if you dare use
> > it) has optimizations for it. I think wikipedia has more on those -
> > there are others.
> >
> > It's a good option for installations, or a system drive that you can
> > boot in an emergency. They are also cheap enough that you can use
> > them as a system drive on a box altogether, and just replace it
> > before/when it goes bad.
> >
> > Petter
>
> Thats good to read Petter, thanks.  I got burned a bit early on,
> running dd-wrt on an x86 boxen from nothing but flash, It worked
> great, till the flashes died, about 3 of the std sized 512 meggers in
> a month.

Is that long ago? Flash memory has come a long way in recent years.

I'm running SSDs on my desktop, and them burning out is not something
I'm all that concerned about. Mounting with relatime is probably a good
idea, though.

Recently I bought a new router, and I've been just itching to install
DD-WRT on it, I made sure to check it was compatible before buying it.
The default firmware isn't bad, I'm just concerned about security, and
there are a few options I miss. Besides, it's running an ssh server on
the internal interface, for which I can't get a password or key :(

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"