Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:50:13 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 16 April 2015 16:01:31 David Christensen wrote:
> > Do you know if the laptop or the desktop machine can use a USB flash
> > drive as the system drive?  My 945 chipset and newer machines can do
> > this.  It is one of the best cheap Linux tricks I've ever
> > discovered.
>
> With limited life of the flash, linux filesystems are hell on flash.

Not any longer :) There are now Linux filesystems specifically for
flash memory - F2FS, for instance. ext4 isn't as bad on flash, either,
with the right mount options, and btrfs (if you dare use it) has
optimizations for it. I think wikipedia has more on those - there are
others.

It's a good option for installations, or a system drive that you can
boot in an emergency. They are also cheap enough that you can use them
as a system drive on a box altogether, and just replace it before/when
it goes bad.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"