Re: change sources.list to follow testing, not jessie

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:49:07 +0200
Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 22:00:58 +0100
> Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:11:06 +0100
> > Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > But it will be awful the day that Jessie goes Stable because
> > > everything will immediately update willy-nilly and out of your
> > > control, all at once, to Stretch (which will be the new testing).
> > >
> > > I really should wait a few days if I were you.  If I were me I
> > > would wait at least a month!
> > >

> > However long the wait, the result will be the same. In fact, the
> > longer the wait, the more upgrades there will be in one go. Once the
> > floodgates open into the new Testing, there will be a similar
> > upheaval here in Sid, as software which has been kept back because
> > it won't be compatible with the initial new Testing (which has to
> > be smoothly upgraded from the present Testing) will then be dumped
> > into Sid and pushed into Testing as soon as the magic two weeks
> > have passed without complete disaster. Interesting times
> > everywhere, except hopefully in the new Stable.
> >
> > This upgrade of old Testing to new Testing is the first real-world
> > preview of the *next* Stable upgrade, or at least some of it. I'm
> > sure a lot of thought has gone into preparing for it.
>
> I'm interested in installing either Stretch or Sid in a VM and help to
> find bugs - where is the effort best spent? Stretch, since it will
> become the next Stable?
>
> Petter

Difficult to say. Software moves from Sid to Testing after about ten
days if nothing serious is found. In general, Sid will get the worst
bugs, but they will usually be easy to spot. The Testing environment
will never be identical to Sid's, so there will occasionally be new
bugs surface there, as well as bugs too subtle or minor to have been
noticed in Sid or to have held back the software from Testing.

Later on, and particularly after the freeze, it becomes more important
to kill bugs in Testing, in preparation for the next release. But
that's almost certainly more than a year away yet.

--
Joe