Re: change sources.list to follow testing, not jessie

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:11:06 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Lisi,

>But it will be awful the day that Jessie goes Stable because everything
>will immediately update willy-nilly and out of your control, all at
>once, to

I've been using 'testing' (as opposed to codenames) for years without
problems.  The flood of updates doesn't happen in an uncontrolled
manner.  Every single one of them is (dis)allowed by the system
administrator.  Me, in this case.  When the freeze ends after a new
Debian release, I update daily for a week or two to avoid having to do
too many packages at once.

Sometimes, one (or more) of those packages wants to remove others,
sometimes a *lot* of packages.  More often than not, holding back on
updates to just those packages demanding removals allows for issues to
be sorted out in sid (or upstream) soon enough.  Occasionally, of course,
some removals are required, due to dependency changes, killing off
outdated software etc. but never in huge quantities.

Admittedly, one has to be fairly confident in one's own abilities to
select updates wisely.  So, as a result, I'd probably advise complete
newcomers to use codenames.  At least until they gained some
knowledge/skill in handling updates.

--
 Regards  _
To the ends of the earth, you look for sense in it