Re: change sources.list to follow testing, not jessie

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:11:06 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 16 April 2015 17:05:54 Harry Putnam wrote:
> > My current sources.list:
> >

> > In the first three, if I just change the word `jessie' to `testing'
> > will that work seemlessly or lead to problems?
> >
> > I'm a little loath to just test it for fear of causing immediate
> > problems, I mean testing beyond an `aptitude update' after changing
> > all occurences of `jessie' to testing.
>
> As opposed to problems in a fortnight?  If you change all of them,
> you will have a whirlwind as soon as Jessie becomes Stable.  If I
> were in your shoes, I would change the one reference to testing to
> Jessie.  Track Jessie into next month and change all references to
> Jessie to testing or Stretch then, when things have calmed down a
> little.
>
> > Running `aptitude update' with the changes in place does not produce
> > any output that looks problematice (to me).  But maybe that is not a
> > thorough test?
>
> It's no test at all.  At the moment testing and Jessie are the same
> thing.
>
> But it will be awful the day that Jessie goes Stable because
> everything will immediately update willy-nilly and out of your
> control, all at once, to Stretch (which will be the new testing).
>
> I really should wait a few days if I were you.  If I were me I would
> wait at least a month!

However long the wait, the result will be the same. In fact, the longer
the wait, the more upgrades there will be in one go. Once the
floodgates open into the new Testing, there will be a similar upheaval
here in Sid, as software which has been kept back because it won't be
compatible with the initial new Testing (which has to be smoothly
upgraded from the present Testing) will then be dumped into Sid and
pushed into Testing as soon as the magic two weeks have passed without
complete disaster. Interesting times everywhere, except hopefully in the
new Stable.

This upgrade of old Testing to new Testing is the first real-world
preview of the *next* Stable upgrade, or at least some of it. I'm sure
a lot of thought has gone into preparing for it.

--
Joe