Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:07:54 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/04/2015, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2015-04-16, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On 17/04/2015, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > <SNIP>

> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> I assume something bad is in the source code of that web page (it
> >> is aspx, so, proprietary MS stuff), but, with two web browsers -
> >> Arora and rekonq, running on Debian 6, I can only see a bit at the
> >> op of the web page - no scroll bar or any way to get to the
> >> important stuff lower down on the web page.
> >>
> >> Publishing a web page about Linux stuff, in MS only format, is a
> >> bit weird.
> >>
> >> It is kind of like the manuafacturer (AMD) wants to hide its Linux
> >> stuff, from Linux users.
> >
> > It is nothing of the sort. The site Works fine in iceweasel on
> > jessie. It should work on wheezy, which has the same version of
> > iceweasel, too.
> >
> > Any browser you run in squeeze was EOL'ed years ago, from a security
> > perspective if nothing else.
> >

> What it comes down to, has nothing to do with the version number of
> Debian.
>
> What it came down to, is, the web page bien aspx shite, it requires
> javascript (javashite).
>
> I installed a 12.x version of opera (from my Debian 6 desktop system),
> on this (Debian 7, running on the Acer E5-521-238Q) system,  and left
> javascript enabled, and the web page works.
>
> In going to the Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit option, as such packages are
> usually .deb packages, and so, tend to work on Debian (which is how I
> got Seamonkey installed and working on this system, from an old
> version of Seamonkey.deb, that I had obtained), I downloaded and tried
> to install the package.
>
> I got a dependency problem;
> "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: fglrx-core"
>
> So, I seached in Synaptic, for fglrx, and found
>
> fglrx-driver;
>
> "
> non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver
>
> FGLRX / AMD Catalyst is the non-free proprietary display driver for
> the ATI/AMD RadeonHD and FireGL graphics cards. As an alternative,
> you may try the newest free driver xserver-xorg-video-radeon.
>
> This driver release supports the following graphics adapter families:
> AMD Radeon HD 7000, AMD Radeon HD 6000, and AMD Radeon HD 5000.
> "
>
> So, I searched within Synaptic, for xserver-xorg-video-radeon .
>
> I found that xserver-xorg-video-ati and xserver-xorg-video-radeon, are
> already installed.
>
> The first has, in its package description;
>
> "
> X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper
>
> This package provides the 'ati' driver for the AMD/ATI Mach64,
> Rage128, Radeon, FireGL, FireMV, FirePro and FireStream series. This
> driver is actually a wrapper that loads one of the 'mach64', 'r128'
> or 'radeon' sub-drivers depending on the hardware.
> [...]

From what I can remember, the AMD web page lists more than one package,
and you need at least two or three of them, depending on whether you
want the graphical setup utility ("AMD Catalyst Control Center" or
something like that). That's why the dependency fails.

Download the correct packages, and install them in the right order.
There should be install instructions linked from that download page.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"