[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: change sources.list to follow testing, not jessie

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 5:25 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Joe (joe@jretrading.com):
>> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:11:06 +0100
>> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > As opposed to problems in a fortnight?  If you change all of them,
>> > you will have a whirlwind as soon as Jessie becomes Stable.  If I
>> > were in your shoes, I would change the one reference to testing to
>> > Jessie.  Track Jessie into next month and change all references to
>> > Jessie to testing or Stretch then, when things have calmed down a
>> > little.
>> >
>> > > Running `aptitude update' with the changes in place does not produce
>> > > any output that looks problematice (to me).  But maybe that is not a
>> > > thorough test?
>> >
>> > It's no test at all.  At the moment testing and Jessie are the same
>> > thing.
>> >
>> > But it will be awful the day that Jessie goes Stable because
>> > everything will immediately update willy-nilly and out of your
>> > control, all at once, to Stretch (which will be the new testing).
>> >
>> > I really should wait a few days if I were you.  If I were me I would
>> > wait at least a month!
>> >
>> However long the wait, the result will be the same. In fact, the longer
>> the wait, the more upgrades there will be in one go.
> This may be true, but there's a difference. If you wait a few months
> in jessie before moving to stretch, a lot more people will have tried
> the latter and discussed, maybe fixed, the bugs that crop up.
>> Once the
>> floodgates open into the new Testing, there will be a similar upheaval
>> here in Sid, as software which has been kept back because it won't be
>> compatible with the initial new Testing (which has to be smoothly
>> upgraded from the present Testing) will then be dumped into Sid and
>> pushed into Testing as soon as the magic two weeks have passed without
>> complete disaster. Interesting times everywhere, except hopefully in the
>> new Stable.
> Lisi and I both suggested to stick with codenames, and jessie.
> This means that the OP can choose exactly when to move distribution
> instead of being at the mercy of the Debian release schedule.
>> This upgrade of old Testing to new Testing is the first real-world
>> preview of the *next* Stable upgrade, or at least some of it. I'm sure
>> a lot of thought has gone into preparing for it.
> Sure, but we're not all gagging for it.

I've had these lines in my sources.list for years:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

Yes, things get interesting after the current testing stabilizes, with
sometimes hundreds of updates at a time, but things don't get into the
testing distribution unless they mostly work, and I've very rarely had
to wait long for any wrinkles to work out. (I do NOT, of course, do
this on a production server, but only on my personal boxes.)


Reply to: