Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

Quoting Bret Busby (bret.busby@gmail.com):
> On 16/04/2015, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > Quoting Bret Busby (bret.busby@gmail.com):
> >
> >> bret@bret-Aspire-E5-521:~$  lspci | grep -i vga
> >> 00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
> >> [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics]
> >
> > I think you should concentrate on the string in brackets,
> > which appears on
> >
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/category/VIDEO/?&page=3

> Now, you say that, but, Ubuntu 14.04 shows two different sets of
> information, as shown in my preceding messages;
[...]
> So, what I deduce from this, is that the only difference between what
> you have posted, and, what I had previously posted, is that you have
> referred to the video component
> (" [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics]")
> of the CPU that I had specified;
> ("AMD E2-6110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics x4")

Yes.

> but, however it is interpreted, my deduction that both Debian 7 and
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, appear to be lacking a(n adequate) driver for the
> particular CPU (given that it involves and includes, as an integral
> part, the " [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics]"
> graphics controller), appears to be reasonable and valid.

Oh, it can be worse than that. It has been claimed that the wireless
card whose details I just posted in another thread has a kernel driver
that should handle it. It doesn't. As can be seen in the posting, I
use ndiswrapper to wrap a manufacturer's proprietary windows driver
specific to that *chip*, and have to blacklist the kernel module so
it doesn't get linked in first.

I don't know whether you will have to get a manufacturer's driver,
nor whether you'll have to blacklist whatever driver is running the
video now; what was it, Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe?
Other people on the web might.

> I note that none of the web page URL's that you and I have cited,
> appear to link to, or, mention, a driver for the particular CPU or its
> incorporated graphics controller, for either Debian or Ubuntu, Linux.

Well, if you find one, so much the better. But it would be unusual to
find a graphics chip that has only ever been used with one CPU chip.

Cheers,
David.