Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On Thursday 16 April 2015 12:02:23 David Wright wrote:
> Quoting Gene Heskett (gheskett@wdtv.com):
> > Then edit fstab to mount the LABEL = /opt drive on top of the /opt
> > directory is easy.  But Jessie will have installed some things in
> > /home and I am not convinced we have a mechanism/script I could
> > apply to update the image of wheezy's home on the LABEL=/home
> > partition that will not at that time, be mounted over the /home
> > directory of the Jessie install on the other to be main boot drive.
>
> I can't parse this, sorry.
>
> I can only guess that you *might* be referring to the situation where,
> by accident or design, you leave a separate /home partition unmounted
> while installing Debian on the root partition. On rebooting, d-i will
> be found to have placed
> /home/<first-user>/{.bash_logout,.bashrc,.profile} in / but it's a
> simple matter to boot single/recovery, move/remove
> <first-user>/{.bash_logout,.bashrc,.profile} (if they offend you), and
> mount your home partition on the now empty /home (adjusting fstab to
> suit).

I think you have about covered it.  I was more concerned with the X,
kde/tde stuff but you have the idea I believe.

> If that's not the case, please ignore the above rather than
> re-expounding what you really meant.
>
> > And one other question:  Can the installer deal with a drive that
> > has no partition table on it? I know for a fact that as it stands
> > for wheezy, that it will not accept, even if it can see it, another
> > partitioners partition tables.  It absolutely has to write its own
> > table and nothing a human can concoct will ever suit it.  Frankly,
> > debian needs to get an alaskan divorce from whatever its called and
> > use gparted and be done with it.
>
> I don't know the expression "alaskan divorce". Could it be where you
> walk from the divorce court straight back to the registry office to
> get re-married?

Aw gee, that expression is at least 30 years older than the internet!

I first heard about it in a letter my mother got from a friend of hers
that had moved to the Anchorage area about 5 years before the quake in
1952.  She wrote that in all the carnage the earthquake left that they
had only had 2 Alaskan Divorces in the 3 months or so since the quake.
So mother wrote back for clarification.

Story goes like this:
Couple has been married long enough the honeymoon has slowed some, and
have built a cabin overlooking their mining claim, which between it and
subsistence hunting is feeding them well.  But it is, figuratively
speaking, about 75 miles from the neighbors.  Used to the long winters
but miss-calculated how many decks of cards, coffee, condoms and tobacco
they would need.

Snowbound since about the first of October, they are out of condoms by
the end of January, out of coffee by the end of February, tobacco by the
middle of March & wore out the last deck of cards too somewhere along
the way.  Somewhere around the first of April, before any thaw of
consequence gives them hope for spring, one of them picks up the 30-06
and gets a divorce.

Told poorly, but that is the classic definition of an Alaskan Divorce.

> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)