Re: change sources.list to follow testing, not jessie

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 12:05:54PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
> My current sources.list:
>

> ,----
> | deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
> | deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
> |
> | deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
> | deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
> |
> | deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
> | deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
> `----
>
> And a couple to keep certain wheeze software but not important for my question
> (included here just for completness only)
> ,----
> | deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
> | deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
> |
> | deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
> | deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
> `----
>
> In the first three, if I just change the word `jessie' to `testing' will
> that work seemlessly or lead to problems?

At the moment, "stable" is a pointer to "wheezy", "testing" points to
"jessie" and "unstable" points to sid.

On the day of release, the pointers change. "stable" points to "jessie",
"testing" points to "stretch" and "unstable" stays pointing to "sid"
(Sid is always unstable).

So, if your apt-sources mention "wheezy", then you will remain on
wheezy, which will become "oldstable". You will see minimal changes on
the day of release.

If your apt-sources mention "stable" though, then on the day of release,
your stable will become the new stable and you will be automatically
updated to jessie. (I should mention, that this "automatic" only means
"next time you do an update").

The same SHOULD apply to other sources, too. "jessie/updates" and
"testing/updates" should be identical *at the moment*.