Re: apt stuck at "Reading database"

On 04/14/2015 03:59 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 08:42:45AM -0400, Jape Person wrote:
IIRC apt-listbugs or apt-listchanges (or both) don't work without the
deb-src entries in /etc/apt/sources.list.

Works fine for me. Did you *actually* try it?

It works fine for me, too -- now. But, as I've said elsewhere, I remember that aptitude stopped being able to display changelogs when I removed the deb-src lines from my sources.list. That was years ago, and someone on this list (I think) told me to place the deb-src lines back in the sources.list file. After that, everything was fine.

I don't think I'm misremembering because I did find old notes about the problem in a journal. Unfortunately, those notes don't mention whether this was a bug or a feature.

I should have checked before offering my recollection. My only defense is that I did preface it with "IIRC". But I also neglected to mention that I was talking about the display of changelogs on files that were available for upgrade from within aptitude. That's a pretty specific set of circumstances.

I shall now don the pointy hat and sit in the corner.

;-)

Regards,
JP