Re: Encrypting an External HDD

On 04/15/2015 10:50 AM, David Christensen wrote:
On 04/15/2015 05:04 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/hardware/howto-linux-hard-disk-encryption-with-luks-cryptsetup-command/

That article shows how to create a LUKS container on the raw drive.  I
prefer creating a partition table, creating one large primary partition,
and putting a LUKS container into that.

David

Being that I'm looking at doing pretty much the same, i.e., encrypting an external 1T USB drive, this thread is interesting to me too.

What options or features does one get by putting the LUKS container in a partition rather than putting it on a raw drive?

tnx