Re: Encrypting an External HDD

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 07:53:20 -0400
Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have a USB external HDD that I would like to encrypt with a
> passphrase. After looking into filesystems, I decided to go with Ext4.
> What's the recommended way of encrypting a drive? Do I partition it
> first, then encrypt that partition?

Yes, you create a partition (or LV), encrypt it, and then mkfs. Unless
if you want to use LVM and retain the ability to re-size volumes, then
you set up encryption before LVM. That's a guess, though - I haven't
done that yet.

> Internet searches lead me to LUKS & cryptsetup. However, the blog and
> forum posts I've read are a bit old. I'm running Jessie.

I used this guide, and it worked perfectly for me:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/hardware/howto-linux-hard-disk-encryption-with-luks-cryptsetup-command/

It's from 2012, but I had no problems with it at all, and I was also
encrypting an external USB drive. If you run into any problems, feel
free to ask.

Good luck!

Petter

--