Re: Is gnome-core *really* the gnome minimal install?

On 2015-04-13 07:20, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 18:55:54 -0700 Patrick Bartek
<nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

Of course, if you really want TOTAL control of your GUI, a window
manager is the way to go.  That's what I did.  Installed Openbox.
The same WM that LXDE uses.  A little more work, but worth it.

i'll second the use of openbox.  i use it with fbpanel.

i too believe that gnome just pulls in way too much "stuff".

the most inconvenient thing about not using gnome is not having a way
to handle USS mass storage devices.

Assuming you mean USB mass storage devices it can be solved by starting the window manager in a ConsoleKit session. I run Blackbox and my ~/.xinitrc ends with

	exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch blackbox

In the file manager PCManFM mounting and unmounting USB devices works just fine. I run Debian Wheezy.

-- August