Re: debian 8

On Saturday 11 April 2015 13:33:02 Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 12:14:45 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 11 April 2015 09:20:11 Petter Adsen wrote:
[...]
> > before it was usable even with Brothers own linux drivers.
>
> If you ever need to do that again, you can do a search for "Hiren's
> Boot CD". It contains a PE version of Windows XP that I have used
> several times for updating firmware and such.

Neat trick, msg marked.

> > I very strongly suspect that this "SetPoint" would not be executable
> > under wine even if I knew where to snag a copy. Something not
> > mentioned in that forum link thread.
>
> I don't use Wine, so I don't really have an opinion about it. The
> alternative is of course to install Win in a VM, if your machine can
> handle it. I used to run iTunes in a Win7 VM to do certain things when
> I had an iPad, but my mother needed a tablet, so I gave it to her. It
> always worked perfectly.
>
> While I prefer kvm/qemu, you could probably do the same with
> virtualbox. For USB support I think you need to install the "Guest
> Additions" in the Windows guest, but that's easy to do. If you want to
> try kvm you can use virt-manager for an easy interface to set up the
> VM.

None of which I have ever tried to do.

> Both of these assume you have a Windows install iso/CD.

If I do, its on a decade old set of cd's I made off the lappy when I
bought it.  The $64K question is where did I stash that zippered  cd
carrier...

> SetPoint
> should run on XP and above, according to this webpage, where you can
> download it.
>
> http://support.logitech.com/software/setpoint
>
> You *should* not need to do any of this, though, as I strongly suspect
> that the Fn key simply makes the function keys send a different code
> than they do without it pressed. "xev -event keyboard" will tell you
> this.

Another good hint to remember, thanks.

> > > Some terminals (I'm looking at you, gnome-terminal!) have F10
> > > mapped to open the menu, which obviously don't work well with mc,
> > > among other things. It can usually be disabled. In mc, you can
> > > press F9, o, o and you will get a menu where you can configure
> > > when mc will ask you for confirmations. Uncheck "Exit", go back to
> > > the "Options" menu and select "Save setup" - it will not bother
> > > you again :)
> >
> > Whoopy Ding Yippy kie yie ohh, done, and thank you very much Petter.
>
> You are most welcome :)
>
> > If you can find the tool to do it.  In wheezy's case, keyboard
> > managment, in their considered opinion, consists of sliders for
> > repeat delay and repeat speed once it kicks in.  There are other
> > even less important options , but IMNSHO, the global key mappings,
> > and the ability to change them, belong in this relatively easy to
> > find utility.  They would be right at home on YAT (Yet Another Tab).
> > But gee whilikers folks, that would make it TOO easy... :(
>
> I guess that depends on what DE you are in.

I started with kde, but switched to TDE when I found out about it.

> As I said, Xfce has ways
> to set keybindings to launch stuff or execute WM functions. I know
> that Enlightenment has really extensive ways to configure your input
> devices, but I gave up trying to use it for real work.

The lappy IIRC has Mint 14 xfce on it & while its different, it works
just fine once the prom dress is on the floor. :)

> This link may be of some help:
> http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/320420-weekend-project-configure-
>your-keyboard-into-submission

I'll have to look at that, but not today.  Between the first mowing of
the season, and a couple hours running a human backhoe trying to spread
gumbo dug out of that pump hole in the basement, this 80 yo is bushed.

> You can use the tips there in combination with something like wmctrl
> and (g)devilspie if you want to configure certain keys to send events
> to your WM/DE. It says to use xmodmap, which we're not supposed to do
> any more, but it still does what I need to do. YMMV :)
>
> > > Have a good one,

You too, Petter.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)