Re: debian 8

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 12:14:45 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 11 April 2015 09:20:11 Petter Adsen wrote:
> > It seems you need a Wintendo tool to
> > configure them, something called "SetPoint". I do not know whether
> > you could use that to configure the keys and the settings would be
> > stored in the actual keyboard, more likely the software stores the
> > settings in a file and enables them on every boot. But you could
> > always try running it in Wine and see?
>
> What wine? It is so crippled by its W95 compliance with hardware
> support for todays hardware completely missing that its worthless, so
> if I absolutely need to run a winders app, I'll go buy crossover.
> And the last time I did that, it could not run the firmware updater
> that a fawncy Brother color laser print I had purchased, needed
> before it was usable even with Brothers own linux drivers.

If you ever need to do that again, you can do a search for "Hiren's
Boot CD". It contains a PE version of Windows XP that I have used
several times for updating firmware and such.

> I very strongly suspect that this "SetPoint" would not be executable
> under wine even if I knew where to snag a copy. Something not
> mentioned in that forum link thread.

I don't use Wine, so I don't really have an opinion about it. The
alternative is of course to install Win in a VM, if your machine can
handle it. I used to run iTunes in a Win7 VM to do certain things when
I had an iPad, but my mother needed a tablet, so I gave it to her. It
always worked perfectly.

While I prefer kvm/qemu, you could probably do the same with
virtualbox. For USB support I think you need to install the "Guest
Additions" in the Windows guest, but that's easy to do. If you want to
try kvm you can use virt-manager for an easy interface to set up the
VM.

Both of these assume you have a Windows install iso/CD. SetPoint should
run on XP and above, according to this webpage, where you can download
it.

http://support.logitech.com/software/setpoint

You *should* not need to do any of this, though, as I strongly suspect
that the Fn key simply makes the function keys send a different code
than they do without it pressed. "xev -event keyboard" will tell you
this.

> > Some terminals (I'm looking at you, gnome-terminal!) have F10 mapped
> > to open the menu, which obviously don't work well with mc, among
> > other things. It can usually be disabled. In mc, you can press F9,
> > o, o and you will get a menu where you can configure when mc will
> > ask you for confirmations. Uncheck "Exit", go back to the "Options"
> > menu and select "Save setup" - it will not bother you again :)
>
> Whoopy Ding Yippy kie yie ohh, done, and thank you very much Petter.

You are most welcome :)

> If you can find the tool to do it.  In wheezy's case, keyboard
> managment, in their considered opinion, consists of sliders for
> repeat delay and repeat speed once it kicks in.  There are other even
> less important options , but IMNSHO, the global key mappings, and the
> ability to change them, belong in this relatively easy to find
> utility.  They would be right at home on YAT (Yet Another Tab). But
> gee whilikers folks, that would make it TOO easy... :(

I guess that depends on what DE you are in. As I said, Xfce has ways to
set keybindings to launch stuff or execute WM functions. I know that
Enlightenment has really extensive ways to configure your input
devices, but I gave up trying to use it for real work.

This link may be of some help:
http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/320420-weekend-project-configure-your-keyboard-into-submission

You can use the tips there in combination with something like wmctrl
and (g)devilspie if you want to configure certain keys to send events
to your WM/DE. It says to use xmodmap, which we're not supposed to do
any more, but it still does what I need to do. YMMV :)

> > Have a good one,
>
> I try Petter, but sometimes you wonder if its worth it to gnaw thru
> the straps and get up mornings. ;-)  But 2 cups of java and my
> morning pills and in about an hour its all better. :)

:-)

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"